The Cytology Specimen Rejection Criteria policy identifies requirements on Cytopathology requisitions and specimens, as well as the protocol to follow when an unacceptable specimen is received for Cytologic evaluation.
1. All types of specimens submitted to the Cytology Department for evaluation must be accompanied by a Cytopathology requisition containing the following information in order to properly process and interpret the specimen.
A. Full name
B. Date Specimen was obtained
C. Specimen source
D. Medical Record Number
E. Date of Birth
F. Name of Doctor
G. Patient address
H. Date of L.M.P. (If GYN specimen)
2. The patient’s name must be printed on the frosted end of all slides submitted for cytologic evaluation.
3. Fluid specimen containers must be labeled with the patient’s name and medical record number or date of birth.
4. All specimens (non-gynecological or gynecological) must be properly fixed unless specified otherwise. Refer to the Clinical Laboratory Testing Manual or the “Fixatives for Gynecological and Non-Gynecological Specimens” procedure for further instructions.
5. Leaking fluid specimens will be documented on the requisition. If the majority of the fluid has leaked the specimen will then be rejected and a new specimen will be requested.
6. Slides received broken are documented on the requisition. If the slide is repairable it is repaired, stained, and examined. If the slide is broken beyond repair or cannot be properly examined due to breakage, the sender is contacted and a new specimen is requested.
7. The requisition, specimen container and slides are examined for proper labeling and complete information. If not correctly labeled or if information is missing, fill out a Specimen Rejection form (OF-12) and send a copy with the specimen/slide to the sender. Retain a copy in the Cytology Department.
Note: If a problem is noted with a stat or expedite specimen, call the sender to resolve the problem rather than returning the specimen/slide and slowing the turnaround time.
i. December 1990 Dianne McCoy
ii. May 1996 W. Lorentz, E. Steiner (Revised: II.1,5,6)
iii. June 2007 E. Kutsch (Revised: removed references to SSN)
December 2010 C. Denter (no changes)
December 2011 T. Stewart/Annette Hall (Revised: II.3-4.; 8.removed)
May 2012 T. Stewart (no changes)