Renal Biopsies are referred to the UIDL for anatomic pathology consultation.
1. Specimens are received in Anatomic Pathology (AP) Gross Room and assigned a pathology number in the CoPath System.
A. Part type for renal biopsy is “Renal Biopsy”.
B. In the Description field, enter specific information, e.g. Left kidney biopsy - sent to UIHC.
2. Complete the UIDL Renal Biopsy Requisition Form.
Note: Questions about completion of the requisition can be directed to the University of Iowa Diagnostic Laboratories at (866) 844-2522.
A. A completed requisition must accompany all requests and contains the patient name, ID number, date of biopsy, tissue source, biopsy site, clinical history, lab data (specifically, BUN and Creatinine) and diagnosis, if known.
B. The histological data submitted by the nephrologists must accompany the requisition.
C. When completing the insurance/billing information for UIDL, the University of Iowa will bill ALL insurance. Submit all patient insurance information for billing.
3. Specimen preparation kits are supplied by UIDL (866) 844-2522.
A. Refer to “How to Send a Renal Biopsy”, part one of the “Renal Biopsy Consultation Overview”.
B. Refer to “Specimen Preparation”, part two of the “Renal Biopsy Consultation Overview”.
4. Make copies of all documents submitted to UIDL.
5. Package the specimen:
Place the specimen in the packaging supplied by UIDL; the instructions for packaging are in the UIDL supplied kits. There are special kits with bags and boxes designated for shipments to UIDL. Refer to “Specimen Packaging”, part three of the “Renal Biopsy Consultation Overview”.
A. Transport specimens ready before 2 P.M. via CDS. Refer to the “Transport of Specimens to UHL/UIDL” procedure.
B. If CDS has already made pick-up, follow FedEx shipping instructions.
a. UIDL supplies pre-paid, pre-filled FedEx airbills for overnight delivery.
b. Make a copy of the FedEx airbill and file for tracking purposes.
c. Attach the airbill to the outside of the FedEx labpack.
7. Contact UIDL to inform them that a renal biopsy is being shipped. In addition, FAX copies of the renal biopsy, requisition form and insurance/billing information to (319) 384-7213. Document the transmission and phone call on the form and in the SSO function of CoPath; include the name of person contacted.
8. Enter all information into the SSO function of CoPath, using the copies made for filing.
A. Kits are stocked by the Pathology Aides responsible for the Mercy and Finley AP Gross Rooms.
B. Requisitions are stocked by the Pathology Clerks responsible for Mercy and Finley AP paperwork.
i. May 2010 K. Kalish
August 2011 A. Potter (Revised: II.6.)
January 2012 A. Kass (Revised: form updated)