Quantiferon-TB Gold (In-Tube Method) Blood Collection Tubes (Cellestis #05900301)
Store tubes at room temperature. Stable until the expiration date listed on the tubes.
1. Nil Control Tube (grey cap with white ring)
2. TB Antigen Tube (red cap with white ring)
3. Mitogen Control Tube (purple cap with white ring)
II. Tube Collection:
1. Collect 1 ml of blood by venipuncture directly into each of the QuantiFERON®-TB Gold IT blood collection tubes:
The tubes must be collected in this order.
Nil Control (grey-top)
TB Antigen (red-top)
Mitogen Control (purple-top).
A. 1 ml tubes draw blood relatively slowly; keep the tube on the needle for 2-3 seconds once the tube appears to have completely filled to ensure that the correct volume is drawn.
The black mark on the side of the tubes indicates the 1 ml fill volume.
(QuantiFERON®-TB Gold IT blood collection tubes are manufactured to draw 1 ml ± 10% and perform optimally within the range of 0.8 to 1.2 ml.)
B. If the level of blood in any tube is not close to the indicator line, obtain another blood sample. Under or over-filling of the tubes outside of the 0.8 to 1.2 ml range may lead to erroneous results.
C. If a “butterfly needle” is being used to collect blood, a “purge” tube should be used to ensure that the tubing is filled with blood prior to the QuantiFERON®-TB Gold IT tubes being used.
D. Mix the tubes with a handshake up and down motion 10 times to ensure that the entire inner surface of the tube has been coated with the blood. DO NOT SHAKE VIGOROUSLY.
Note: Thorough mixing is required to ensure complete integration of the tube’s contents into the blood.
2. Label the tubes with patient identification, date and time of collection and initials of person collecting the samples. Ensure that the label on each tube (Nil, TB Antigen, Mitogen) is identifiable.
3. The tubes must be transferred to a UCL site within 16 hours of collection. Prior to incubation, maintain tubes at room temperature (22° ± 5°C). Do not refrigerate or freeze the blood samples.
4. Samples must be incubated at 37°C with stimulation antigen within 16 hours of collection.
1. Quantiferon-TB Gold (In-Tube Method) package insert. Cellestis Inc. Valencia, CA. October 2007.
2. Quantiferon-TB Gold News Special Issue, Cellestis Inc. Valencia, CA. 2011.
i. March 2009 L. McGovern
February 2010 J. Schroeder (no changes)
December 2011 R. Stoffel (no changes)
March 2012 R. Stoffel (Revised: II.1.D.)