The LaserLite barcode reader uses a visible-light laser diode to scan barcodes. Mercy-Dubuque patients have bar-coded information on their armbands. The LaserLite barcode reader can be used as an aid in positive patient identification by internally comparing a specific barcode on a patient’s armband with a specific barcode on a patient’s test requisition.
1. The LaserLite barcode reader is used in the active identification of all patients at the Mercy-Dubuque site with the exception of newborns. If the barcode reader cannot be used, the patient’s medical record number is transcribed from their armband onto the test requisition or the tube label.
2. Press the rectangular yellow button to activate the barcode reader.
3. Press the rectangular yellow button to scan barcodes once the reader is activated.
4. Keep the scanner as steady as possible to get the best barcode read.
Note: The scanner can read barcodes in any position (e.g.; upside down).
5. Scan your badge barcode to input your user ID.
A. The barcode reader gives an audible acceptance.
B. Operator user ID displays.
6. Scan the patient’s medical record number from their armband.
A. The barcode reader beeps.
B. The barcode reader requests the second scan to compare.
Note: The second scan must follow the first within several seconds.
7. Scan the patient’s medical record number from their test requisition.
A. The barcode reader beeps and accepts the data if a match is confirmed.
B. The barcode reader alarms and does not accept the data if a match is not confirmed or if the same barcode is read twice (Duplicate barcodes).
Note: The scan of the armband and requisition can be done in any order. Scanning either site twice elicits an alarm.
8. The barcode reader stores all patient information along with user information until a download is initiated.
9. To begin a download, press the rectangular yellow button to activate the barcode reader.
10. Place the activated barcode reader in the docking station and double click the icon: “Shortcut to VXCOMM”.
Note: Only one barcode reader can be in the docking station at a time.
A. The barcode reader gives an audible signal when the download starts.
B. Allow the download to go to completion by watching the scroll bar advance.
C. The Download Information Window closes after the download is complete.
D. Remove the barcode reader immediately after a completed download.
1. 4 AA Alkaline batteries (preferably Rayovac) run the LaserLite Barcode Reader – change as needed.
2. All other problems with the LaserLite Barcode Reader are referred to the Technical Director.
1. DuraTrax & LaserLite Hardware Manual; Videx. 1996-1998.
i. July 2010 S. Rodriguez
Interim review: November 2011 S. Rodriguez (no changes)