Principle: | Procedure: | References
Component Shipping in the Inventory module of SafeTrace addresses the process used whenever a component is returned to the supplier or sent to a hospital outside the UCL system; a “Shipment” in SafeTrace Tx terminology.
A. In the Inventory module, choose File (menu bar); New; Shipment:
B. The “New Shipment” window opens (see below) with the cursor focus in the Location field. This field automatically fills with the session site.
a. Tab to the “Request By” field and enter the facility or person asking for the shipment.
b. Fill in the “Request Priority” level (click “Find”).
c. Fill in either the “Provider” or “Supplier” field:
Note: Only one field can be filled (Provider or Supplier), not both.
If the shipment goes to another hospital, click “Find”, then “Query” to fill in the Provider field. (In this particular process, Provider is the entity providing patient care). Leave the Supplier field blank.
If the shipment is a return to the Supplier, leave the Provider field blank and fill in the Supplier field (may use “Find”).
d. Enter the “Due Date” as ”d”, tab. (Fills in today’s date)
e. Enter the “Time” as “t”, tab. (Fills in the current time.)
f. Choose the “Reason” as RQ (Request) for an outside (usually handled by MVRBC) hospital, or RT or RE (Return) for the supplier and click “OK”.
C. The “Shipment Profile” window opens with information automatically filled in most fields:
a. Move the cursor to the Shipped Date field and if the Shipment will be packaged now, fill in the date and time as above.
b. Choose a Freight option by using the pull-down menu and choosing the appropriate one:
c. Fill in the Shipped By field with the ID of the tech doing the packaging.
d. Move the cursor to the “Shipment Items” grid.
e. Fill in the “Type” field (use “Find”, the Binoculars icon).
f. Fill in the “Item ID” field (use “Find”, the Binoculars icon).
g. Enter the Quantity, double click on the Shipped Qty field and the “Shipping Components” window opens:
1. Barcode (or manually enter) the component information.
2. Click “Accept” if all the information is entered and correct. The component moves to the lower grid: Shipping Components.
3. Use the Clear key to erase information in the upper part of the Ship Component window.
4. Use the Delete key to eliminate unit information in the lower grid of the Ship Component window.
5. Repeat until all units are entered and click “OK”.
D. The Shipment Profile window reopens; place the cursor in the Complete Shipment box and a check mark will populate the box:
E. The “Status” of the shipment changes to “Shipped”:
F. Pull-down Shipment (menu bar) and choose Packing Slip:
G. The print preview of the shipping document opens; click on the Printer icon twice to get two copies and click “Close”.
H. Click on the Disk icon to save the “Shipment”.
I. Click on the small [X] in the upper right corner of the window to exit.
J. Stamp and complete the packing slips with the “Supplier Verification Stamp”. Send one copy with the product. File the other copy in the designated file.
A. Go to File (menu bar); Open; Shipment:
B. The “Open Shipment” window opens:
C. Type in the” Shipment ID” from the packing slip (or use “Query”).
D. The “Shipment Profile” window opens (see above) with all the information for that shipment.
A. Before completing and saving a Shipment hit “Cancel” at any time.
B. After completing and saving a Shipment:
a. Bring the product back into inventory by going to File (menu bar); Open; Shipment:
b. The “Open Shipment” window opens:
c. Type in the “Shipment ID” from the packing slip (or use “Query”).
d. The “Shipment Profile” window opens with all the shipment information:
e. With the “Shipment Profile” window open go to Shipment (menu bar); Return:
f. The “Shipment Return” window opens:
1. Barcode (or Manually enter) the unit’s Product Code and Unit No. The remaining information automatically fills in.
2. In the Return section of the window, the Return to Inventory is the default. The "Disposition Rsn" field is NOT required for a Return to Inventory. If there is some reason to Discard or Quarantine the unit(s), select the appropriate radio button. If Discard or Quarantine is chosen, the "Disposition Rsn" must then be filled in.
3. Fill in the “Return Reason” field (may use “Find”):
4. Click “Accept” if all the information is entered and correct. The component moves to the lower grid: “Returned Blood Products”.
5. Use the [Clear] button to erase information in the upper part of the “Shipment Return” window.
6. Use the Delete key to eliminate unit information in the lower grid of the “Shipment Return” window.
7. Repeat until all units are entered; click “OK” when all components have been entered.
g. The “Shipment Profile” window reopens with the “Shipped Qty” now 0; click on the Disk icon to save.
h. Click on the small [X] in the upper right corner of the window to exit.
i. The unit(s) is now back in inventory with all historical information retained and all testing still valid (i.e.: unit confirmation).
j. Destroy both packing slips and make a note in the Incidence Log.
1. SafeTrace Tx Inventory Training Manual 04/03/2001.
i. June 2002M. Burger, N. Combs, S. Rodriguez June 2002
January 2011 N. Combs (Revised: II.1.B.f.)
September 2011 N. Combs (Revised: screen shots)