Principle: | Procedure: | References: N.A.
Proficiency (survey) samples are tested in the same manner as patients and recorded on computer downtime documents. The techs assigned to Blood Bank during the time the samples are available are expected to perform the testing. The normal blood bank rotation should assure proficiency testing is shared among the techs and can be included as another piece of competency assurance. Each specimen in the proficiency testing event should be tested by a different tech, if possible.
Note: All survey sample testing is recorded on downtime documents.
1. Assign one downtime sheet to each serum/cell sample using the S/R numbers.
2. Select one serum/cell sample and test it according to the directions accompanying the survey.
3. Record all testing on the downtime sheet, including the crossmatch.
4. If antibody identification is warranted, the panel antigram(s) is attached to the assigned downtime sheet.
5. After the antibody is identified, the corresponding cells are tested for the antigen using the appropriate antisera. Record the results on the assigned downtime sheet.
6. Complete the survey report for the sample tested and attach the documentation.
7. Give the survey report and all supporting documentation to the Supervisor or designee once all samples have been tested.
III. References: N.A.
i. March 2005 S. Rodriguez
June 2010 B. Wiley (Revised: II.5.added)
June 2011 S. Hosch (no changes)