Principle: | Procedure: | References:
This procedure addresses the process used whenever a component needs to be disposed of, allowing SafeTrace to keep accurate records of the component history. Wasted products and outdated autologous units are components that need to be discarded.
Note: If the component is still set on a patient (assigned), release to ‘Available’ in SafeTrace before discarding the component. (See ‘Release Components; Inventory module: SafeTrace Tx)
1. In the Inventory module, choose Components from the menu bar and then Discard:
2. The Component Discard window opens with the cursor in the Reason box.
3. Use Find to determine the appropriate code.
Note: There is also a Pull-down menu under the Reason field with abbreviated codes.
4. Bar code (or manually enter) the Component information.
A. Manually enter the unit information by clicking the [Manual] button and typing in the data on the “Manual Component Entry” window.
a. All items are case sensitive in the manual entry mode.
b. DO NOT use the Caps Lock button.
c. The small character in the box to the far right of the Unit ID number is called the Checksum digit. This item must be included in the manual entry of the Unit ID number (do not include the two zeros).
d. The expiration date and the ABO Rh must be entered as the numerical codes shown beneath each bar code.
e. When OK is clicked, the blood type and expiration date is translated.
5. Click [Accept] if all the information is entered and correct. The component moves to the lower grid: “Discarded Components”.
6. Use the “Clear” key to erase information in the upper part of the “Component Discard” window (when needed).
7. Use the “Delete” key to eliminate unit information in the lower grid of the “Component Discard” window (when needed).
8. Repeat until all units are entered and click [OK] when all components have been entered.
9. Question GT461 “Are you sure you want to discard the component(s)” displays; click [Detail] and double check that no corrective action is needed. If no action is needed and components are to be discarded click [Yes].
10. The components are now ready to be disposed of in an appropriate biohazard container.
1. SafeTrace Tx Inventory Training Manual 04/03/2001.
i. June 2002 M. Burger, N. Combs, S. Rodriguez
ii. November 2010 M. Burger, N. Combs (Revised: II.3, Note, 4, 10)